Call for Volunteers: Root Server System Governance Working Group (RSS GWG)
The ICANN Board recently passed a resolution to initiate the Root Server System Governance Working Group (GWG): consequently, the ccNSO seeks two (2) volunteers for the Root Server System CWG. The GWG is the core of the community-driven process to develop a final cooperation and governance model for the Root Server System (RSS).
This call for volunteers opens Tuesday, 26 November 2019 (00:01 UTC) and closes Monday, 16 December 2019, 23:59 UTC. Further background details, information on how to join as well as the Candidate Qualification requirements are included below.
Purpose and Mandate
The GWG is the core of the community-driven process to develop a final cooperation and governance model for the Root Server System (RSS). The GWG shall embrace the principles outlined in "RSSAC037: A Proposed Governance Model for the DNS Root Server System" (RSSAC037).
Workload & working method
The GWG work plan estimates a two-year effort. However, most of the work for the GWG will take place in the first year. The GWG will determine its work cadence: Regular teleconferences (e.g., every other week) will drive the process with potential work sessions at ICANN Public Meetings as necessary. In carrying out its work, the GWG shall embrace the principles outlined in "RSSAC037: A Proposed Governance Model for the DNS Root Server System" (RSSAC037) and refer to RSSAC037 and the Concept Paper as source documents, as well as the feedback from Public Comment.
Who can join?
The ccNSO appointed members to the RSS GWG can be representatives from all ccTLD managers listed in the IANA database, whether members or non-members of the ccNSO.
Candidate qualification requirements
Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- Direct experience and in-depth knowledge of the DNS Root Server System as it relates to ccTLD registry operations
- Analytical skills, ability to interpret quantitative and qualitative evidence, and capacity to draw conclusions purely based on evidence.
- Able to work and communicate in written and spoken English.
- Effective communication skills.
- Experience in managing and/or participating in committees (e.g. meeting coordination, reporting, and escalation) in order to contribute meaningfully to the work of the GWG.
- Demonstrated ability in relationship management to support diplomatic discussion, consensus driven decision making, and productive negotiation.
Composition of the RSS GWG
The GWG shall comprise ten (10) invited representatives due to their subject matter expertise:
- Two (2) from the Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO)
- Two (2) from the Internet Engineering Task Force/Internet Architecture Board (IETF/IAB)
- Two (2) from the Registries Stakeholder Group (RySG)
- Three (3) from the Root Server Operators (RSOs)
- One (1) from the Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC)
The GWG shall also comprise three (3) liaisons:
- One (1) from the ICANN Board
- One (1) from the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
- One (1) from the Root Zone Maintainer (RZM)
As per its charter, the GWG shall elect from its representatives a chair to manage its work and preside over GWG meetings.
RSS GWG members are not compensated. The ccNSO has a limited number of travel funding slots for those participants that actively participate in the work of the ccNSO and makes a special contribution to its projects and meetings. Read more about ccNSO travel funding here.
How to apply?
If you are interested in joining the RSS GWG, kindly send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following materials:
- your statement of interest.
- Kindly specify your affiliation with a ccTLD Manager, and disclose potential conflicts of interest.
- If applicable, kindly add a letter of support from your employer in respect to the required time commitment to participate actively in the RSS GWG.
Closing date of this call for volunteers is Monday, 16 December 2019, 23:59 UTC.
Once we have received your intent to join the RSS GWG, the ccNSO Secretariat will send you a Public Data Consent Form. Via this form, you consent to ICANN processing data in order to add you as a member of the RSS GWG and its mailing list(s). The form explains the information ICANN will process to administer your participation in the RSS GWG and how the information will be used for this purpose. It also describes the rights you have regarding your information.
After receiving your application, the materials you submitted will be sent to the ccNSO Councillors eligible to select the members of the RSS GWG. Further details on the selection criteria and the selection procedure by the ccNSO Councillors can be found here. By 8 January 2020, the ccTLD representatives on the RSS GWG will be appointed by the ccNSO council.
Background & Links
- The GWG charter, operating procedures, and work plan as well as relevant resources are published on its workspace.
- Consult here the ICANN Board resolution to initiate the RSS GWG: https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2019-11-07-en#2.d