The ccNSO seeks volunteers (members and chair) for the second Working Group of the third ccNSO Policy Development Process (ccPDP3). This group will be tasked to develop the Review Mechanism pertaining to decisions regarding the delegation, transfer, revocation and retirement of ccTLDs.
! NEW ! Webinar
To learn more about the work of this group, you are kindly invited to attend a webinar on Thursday, 23 January 2020 at 14.00 UTC. The webinar will be recorded.
When? Thursday, 23 January 2002 (14 UTC)
Join Zoom Meeting: https://icann.zoom.us/j/148292243
Meeting ID: 148 292 243
Find your local number: https://icann.zoom.us/u/aejOXQvK6P
Call for volunteers
Opening date for this call for volunteers is Friday, 24 January 2020 (23:59 UTC). The call for volunteers will close Friday 7 February 2020 (23:59 UTC). If you are interested in applying for this position, kindly send an e-mail to email@example.com. Further instructions are included under the heading "How to apply?".
Who can join?
Membership of the Committee is open to all ccTLD managers (whether members of the ccNSO or not) The membership will be listed on the ccNSO website. If you are not directly related to a ccTLD Manager but are interested to become a member, you are kindly requested to demonstrate backing by a ccTLD manager. Members of the WG are expected to have an understanding of the relevant background material (see below).
Workload and working method
The group meets through telephone conferences (1 hour to 90 minutes - typically bi-weekly), and potentially in face-to-face meetings during the ICANN meetings. However, most work is done online.
By applying you commit to participate actively and regularly in the work of the WG and express to have at least a basic understanding of the Reference Material. By applying you also commit to the charter of the WG, including but not limited to the Internal decision making and standards of behavior.
How to Apply?
If you are interested in applying for membership of the ccNSO PDP3 WG Review Mechanisms, kindly send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Are you interested in acting as chair for this group? Please specify this in your e-mail. Closing date of this call for volunteers is Friday, 7 February 2020 (23:59 UTC).
The ccNSO Council will appoint the members to the Working Group as soon as possible, after closure of the call for volunteers. Once the members have been appointed, the ccNSO Secretariat will send you a Public Data Consent Form. Via this form, you consent to ICANN processing data in order to add you as a member of the Working Group and its mailing list(s). The form explains the information ICANN will process to administer your participation in the Working Group and how the information will be used for this purpose. It also describes the rights you have regarding your information.
The Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) continues the policy development process (PDP) related to the retirement of country code top-level domains (ccTLDs). This third-ever ccNSO PDP aims to develop policy recommendations for the ICANN Board, which will include a review mechanism pertaining to decision on the delegation, transfer, revocation, and retirement of ccTLDs.
In March 2017, the Council decided at the time to split the work in 2 phases:
- Phase 1: is about to conclude its work. This group focused on the retirement of the delegated Top Level Domains associated with alpha-2 codes assigned to countries and territories listed in the ISO 3166-1 standard. Read more here.
- Phase 2: focus lies on the review mechanisms
The Phase 2 work will begin after the ccNSO Council approves the roster of volunteers. As this WG will undertake its activities within the framework of the ccNSO Policy Development Process 3, the limitations with respect to the scope of a ccPDP, specifically by Article 10 and Annexes B and C to the ICANN Bylaws shall also limit the scope of the WG's work.
- RFC1591 (https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1591.txt )
- The ccNSO Framework of Interpretation working group Final Report, (http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/foi-final-07oct14-en.pdf )
- ISO 3166-1 standard (http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes)
- CWG-Stewardship Final Report, Annex O: ccTLD Appeals Mechanism Background and supporting Findings Sections 1414- 1428: (https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/53779816/FinalTransitionProposal_11June.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1434047705000&api=v2 ).
- Issue paper to explore retirement of ccTLDs (January 2017): https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/64068742/Issues%20to%20explore%20and%20define%20
- ccPDP3 Retirement ccTLDs Working Group (phase 1): Read more here.