Dear ccNSO Members,
This is to inform you about the elections for the position of ICANN Board seat 11 starting on Tuesday, 14 January 2020 (00:01 UTC) - and closing on Friday, 31 January 2020 (23:59 UTC).
In accordance with the applicable rules, three candidates were nominated, seconded and have accepted their nomination. There are no concerns resulting from the due diligence review regarding the candidates. Consequently, an election will be held according to the timeline previously agreed upon by the ccNSO Council.
Candidates (in alphabetical order)
The candidates were invited to submit candidate statements to the ccNSO members (see link section below). They interacted with the ccNSO members and broader ccTLD community at a Q&A session, held during the ccNSO Members Meeting at ICANN66 in Montreal. A link to the recording of the session is published here.
Election opening and closing
Voting starts Tuesday, 14 January 2020 (00:01 UTC) and closes on Friday, 31 January 2020 (23:59 UTC).
- The vote will be by confidential email.
- Voting ballots will be sent by email@example.com to the e-mail address of the primary contact of each ccNSO Member, as listed in the ccNSO Members database. If you are unable to locate the ballot, consider checking your spam folder. Contact the Nomination Manager, Joke Braeken (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you have questions or concerns regarding the email address of the primary contact for your ccTLD.
- Since the election is for one seat, each ccNSO member will be entitled to vote for up to one candidate.
- Each eligible primary contact will receive 1 ballot only. You can vote an unlimited number of times, but only the last vote submitted will be counted.
- The ballot will include the names of the candidates and "None of the above". When selecting "None of the above", a ccTLD Manager believes that none of the candidates listed are qualified to serve on the ICANN Board of Directors.
The election closes on Friday, 31 January 2020 (23:59 UTC). The Nomination Manager will announce the voting on Monday, 3 February 2020 (by 23:59 UTC).
As per the relevant ccNSO Guideline:
"[…] In the event only 50 % or less of the members have cast their vote and opted for "None of the Above" the Board Nomination process, there will be a second, final round. In the event the majority (50% +1) of the members voted and of the majority of the votes cast opted for "None of the Above" the Board Nomination process shall be terminated as foreseen in section 3.9. In the event of a tied vote, a run-off election vote or votes will be held, no later than one month after conclusion of the first round of voting. […]"
In case a second final round or a run-off election needs to be held, this will occur according to the following timeline, as previously agreed by the ccNSO Council:
Start run-off elections or second round elections, if any: Tue, 18 February 2020 (00:01 UTC)
Close run-off elections or second round elections, if any: Tue, 3 March 2020 (23:59 UTC)
The Nomination Report, which includes the results of the election, will be sent latest 5 March 2020 to the ccNSO Council for adoption. The Candidate that receives the majority of the votes cast (note that there is no quorum rule) by the ccNSO members, shall be the Candidate who is elected to be nominated by a majority vote of the ccNSO Council to the ICANN Board seat 11. The term of the ccNSO nominated Director fulfilling ICANN Board Seat 11 will start at the end of the ICANN69 Annual General Meeting 2020 in Hamburg.
- Candidate list ICANN Board Seat 11
- Candidate statement: Patricio Poblete
- Candidate statement: Calvin Scott Browne (version 1 & version 2)
- Candidate statement: Nigel William Phair
- Announcement call for nominations
- Archive for nominations and secondments
- Relevant ccNSO guideline
- ICANN66 ccNSO members meeting: Q&A session. Agenda and remote participation details.