Call for volunteers: ccNSO appointed delegate to ICANN's NomCom
In accordance with the ccNSO Guideline: Appointment of delegate to the Nominating Committee, the ccNSO Council is now looking for a volunteer to serve on the FY2021 ICANN Nominating Committee (NomCom) on behalf of the ccNSO. Candidates may self-nominate.
This call for volunteers opens Tuesday, 26 May 2020 (23:59 UTC) and closes Tuesday, 9 June 2020 (23:59 UTC).
How to apply?
You are required to be associated with a ccTLD manager. If you are interested in serving in this position, please, send an email to the ccNSO Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org), and include a short motivation letter why you wish to serve on the NomCom and explain briefly how you meet the selection criteria listed below. This call for volunteers opens Tuesday, 26 May 2020 (23:59 UTC) and closes Tuesday, 9 June 2020 (23:59 UTC).
Criteria for the ccNSO appointed delegate to the 2021 NomCom:
- you are required to be associated with a ccTLD manager.
- NomCom delegates should have a high-level network of contacts essential to candidate recruitment.
- Eligibility Exception - Current ICANN employees or paid ICANN consultants (including Ombudsman) are excluded from consideration for eligibility as described in Article 8, Section 8.2 of ICANN's Bylaws.
As per Section 8.4 of the ICANN Bylaws, delegates to the ICANN Nominating Committee shall be:
- Accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity, and intelligence, with reputations for sound judgment and open minds, and with experience and competence with collegial large group decision-making;
- Persons with wide contacts, broad experience in the Internet community, and a commitment to the success of ICANN;
- Persons who will consult widely and accept input in carrying out their responsibilities;
- Persons who are neutral and objective, without any fixed personal commitments to particular individuals, organizations, or commercial objectives in carrying out their Nominating Committee responsibilities;
- Persons with an understanding of ICANN's mission and the potential impact of ICANN's activities on the broader Internet community who are willing to serve as volunteers, without compensation other than the reimbursement of certain expenses; and
- Persons who are able to work and communicate in written and spoken English.
The delegate should be able to join monthly teleconferences. Note that the NomCom's workload will increase significantly during the candidate assessment process. Conference calls are held more frequently during this time as well (typically weekly and the duration of the calls may last up to three hours).
All NomCom members should have the ability to travel to and participate in ICANN Public meetings and NomCom meetings when requested (travel and hotel accommodations will be provided for all meetings).
Once the call for volunteers closes, the list of candidates will be presented to all ccNSO Councillors eligible to vote, who will then make a decision regarding the appointment of the ccNSO delegate to the NomCom by email vote. In case you are being selected, you will need to consent to ICANN processing your personal data for the purpose of serving on the NomCom under ICANN's data protection policy (Terms of Service)
About the ICANN NomCom
Under the 1 October 2016 Bylaws the NomCom is an independent committee tasked with nominating eight members of the Board of Directors and other key positions within ICANN's structure. The ICANN community is diverse and the composition of the NomCom should reflect this in order to fulfill its mission. The NomCom has a procedures document that provides additional information about the work of the NomCom.
More information on the criteria for serving as an appointee on the NomCom can be found here.
Specific criteria and requirements regarding the NomCom composition and NomCom delegates are outlined in the ICANN Bylaws in Article 8, Sections 8.2 and 8.4
According to the ICANN Bylaws, Section 8.3. TERMS:
- Each voting delegate shall serve a one-year term. A delegate may serve at most two successive one-year terms, after which at least two years must elapse before the individual is eligible to serve another term.
- The regular term of each voting delegate shall begin at the conclusion of an ICANN annual meeting and shall end at the conclusion of the immediately following ICANN annual meeting.
The 2021 NomCom will be selecting people to fill the following positions:
- Three members of the ICANN Board of Directors.
- Three regional representatives to the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) – one from the Asia, Australia, and Pacific Islands region, one from the Latin America and Caribbean Islands region, one from the Africa region.
- Two members of the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Council.
- One member of the Country Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) Council.