At ICANN70, the ccNSO Council resolved to adopt the following resolutions:
Topic: Election procedure
ccNSO COUNCIL RESOLVED: Up and to the extent necessary and for avoidance of doubt, the ccNSO Council ratifies the 2021 Chair and Vice-Chair nomination and election procedures and requests secretariat to publish the resolution together with the details of the procedures.
Topic: Chair appointment
THE CCNSO COUNCIL RESOLVED TO select and appoint Alejandra Reynoso Barral (.gt, LAC region) as Chair of the ccNSO for a one (1) year term starting at the end of ICANN70 and ending at the end of ICANN73
Topic: Vice-Chair appointments
THE CCNSO COUNCIL RESOLVED TO select and appoint Jordan Carter (.nz, AP region) and Pablo Rodriguez (.pr, NA region) as Vice-Chairs of the ccNSO for a one (1) year term starting at the end of ICANN70 and ending at the end of ICANN73
Topic: Guideline adoption
THE CCNSO COUNCIL RESOLVED TO adopt the Guideline: ccNSO Appointments to Specific Groups. The Council requests the secretariat to publish the Guideline and archive the Guidelines listed in the background section. The adopted Guideline becomes effective seven (7) days after publication.
Topic: Procedure adoption
THE CCNSO COUNCIL RESOLVED to adopt the procedures for nomination and selecting a Chair and/or Vice-Chair of a ccNSO Working Group and ccNSO Collaboration Group. The Council requests the secretariat to publish the Procedures as update to the relevant Guidelines, and update the ccNSO Review Implementation Dashboard. The procedures become effective seven (7) days after publication of this decision.
Topic: Appointment liaison
At the nomination of the Chair and Vice-chair of the IDN ccPDP4 IDN WG, the ccNSO Council appoints Alireza Saleh (.ir) as liaison to the GNSO Policy efforts. The ccNSO Council requests the secretariat to inform the GNSO, the ccPDP4 IDN WG and Alireza accordingly and publish this decision as soon as feasible.
Topic: Procedure ratification
The ccNSO Council ratifies the following procedure to assign roles and responsibilities of Councillors in case of competing sign-ups:
- All Councillors are requested to sign-up for a role they intend to take on by Friday 9 April 2021.
- If two or more Councillors put their name forward for one and the same role to be filled, the following procedure will be followed:
- The Councillors are expected to try to resolve the matter among themselves before the upcoming April Council call.
- If two or more Councilors still put their name forward for one and the same position/role, then all Councillors will select their preferred candidate, by a confidential email vote.
- Each and every Councillor, including the candidates, will be asked by Joke Braeken, the appointed staff person, to send an email to, and include the name of the preferred candidate for the specific position.
- Once the email is received the appointed staff person shall send a reply including a ballot number, and acknowledgement of receipt.
- The most preferred candidate will be appointed. In the event two or more candidates receive the most, but equal number of votes, there will be a run-off expression of preference round with respect to these candidates. The appointed staff person will provide an overview of the votes cast and the order of preference.
Topic: GRC Subgroup
The ccNSO Council requests the Guideline Review Committee (GRC) to create a sub-working group that will focus specifically on detailing the structure, relation and topics of the future members Rules and Operational Procedures. The sub-group is requested to present a first draft of the updated new Members Rules to the ccNSO membership by ICANN71. The GRC is further requested to appoint a liaison to the ccNSO Council to inform the Council on progress.
The ccNSO Council requests the secretariat together with the chair of the GRC to launch a call for participation of the sub-group as soon as feasible. To ensure timely participation and start of this effort, the volunteers may participate in the proceedings of the sub-group of the GRC on equal footing as the members, without going through the formal Council appointment procedure. As soon as the sub-group is closed, participation in the sub-group ends
Topic: Triage committee
Taking into account the increased value of planning and a coherent method for setting priorities, the ccNSO Council requests the current Triage Committee and secretariat, to propose to the ccNSO Council by its May 2021 meeting a roadmap to integrate the work of the Triage Committee and management of the annual and monthly workplan.