The ccNSO seeks volunteers for the ccNSO Study Group on the use of emoji as second level domains.
The study group is established by the ccNSO Council to provide to ccTLD community and the Council a comprehensive overview of the issues associated with the use of Emoji as second level domains, and the need for - and current practice by - ccTLD managers to allow Emojis as second level domains. If considered appropriate by the study group, the study group may advise on a course of further actions, if any.
Read this announcement here: https://ccnso.icann.org/announcements.
If you are interested in joining the Study Group on the use of emoji as second level domains, kindly send an e-mail to email@example.com , including a short paragraph on your background and your affiliation with a ccTLD Manager. Closing date of this call for volunteers is Friday, 18 May 2018, 23:59 UTC.
Scope of activities
The Study group will:
- Summarise the issues associated with the use of Emoji as second level domains as identified by SSAC in its reports (see references);
- Liaise with SSAC to seek further clarification and input if considered needed and appropriate by the group, for example to better understand the threats that the registration and use of Emoji as second level domains create for Internet users and related issues;
- Liaise with relevant departments of ICANN to seek further clarification and input if considered needed and appropriate by the group, for example to better understand the threats that the use of Emoji create for Internet users and related issues;
- Provide an overview of the references in the Fast Track Implementation Plan and Draft overall IDN ccTLD policy to IDNA 2008 and its successor, which disallow Emoji. If not included suggest a course of action to include it in the overall draft IDN ccTLD policy.
- Liaise with the ccTLDs who are currently allowing registration of Emoji to solicit their views and perspective on possible threats and security issues and provide an overview from their prespective;
- If deemed appropriate and necessary prepare a session at a ccNSO meeting, to solicit views of the community and to present and discuss the results of the study to the ccTLD community;
- Provide a final report of its findings to the ccNSO Council. The study group may also undertake other activities the members deem to be appropriate for the purpose of the study group.
Who can join?
Membership of the Study Group is open to all ccTLD managers, whether members or non-members of the ccNSO.
The ccNSO Council will appoint one of its Councillors as chairs and will invite a member of SSAC with a relation to ccTLDs and/or member of the Tech WG to co-chair this group.
How to join and next steps
If you are interested in joining the Study Group, kindly send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org , including a short paragraph on your background and your affiliation with a ccTLD Manager. Closing date of this call for volunteers is Friday, 18 May 2018, 23:59 UTC.
Once we have received your intent to join the Study Group on the use of emoji as second level domains, the ccNSO Secretariat will send you a link to an online Public Data Consent Form. (consult the template here: https://ccnso.icann.org/about/personal-data-publication-consent-16feb18-en.pdf ) Via this form, you consent to ICANN processing data in order to add you as a member of the Study Group on the use of emoji as second level domains and its mailing list(s). The form explains the information ICANN will process to administer your participation in the Study Group and how the information will be used this purpose. It also describes the rights you have regarding your information.
The ccNSO Council will appoint the members to the Study Group as soon as possible.
Closure of the Study Group
The study group closes at the end of the ccNSO Council meeting where the final report will have been discussed, but no later than the ccNSO Council meeting at ICANN63, held in Barcelona, Spain.
Background and links
- Page on ccNSO website: https://ccnso.icann.org/en/workinggroups/emoji-sld.htm
- Terms of Reference of the Study Group: https://ccnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/field-attached/emoji-sld-purpose-scope-activities-26feb18-en.pdf
- The Guidelines: ccNSO Collaboration Groups with Limited Scope (see: https://ccnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/filefield_47779/guidelines-collaboration-groups-30mar16-en.pdf ) are applicable. In case of conflict between the Guidelines and the Terms of Referece, the ToR prevail.
- Board Resolution 2 November 2017: https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2017-11-02-en#1.e
- SAC 095: SSAC Advisory on the use of Emoji in Domain Names. https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-095-en.pdf
- Fast Track Implementation Plan: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/idn-cctld-implementation-plan-05nov13-en.pdf
- Overall draft IDNccTLD policy: https://ccnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/filefield_41859/idn-ccpdp-board-26sep13-en.pdf