

ICANN

Moderator: Bart Boswinkel

Chair: Chris Disspain

September 24, 2009

12:00 am UTC

Chris: Fine. All right. Well let's get started. The bad thing about these calls with these ones is that there's not necessarily a fixed group so Bart do you want to take us through the agenda?

Bart: The next step is...

Bart: Process and glossary. I've done the topic on that paper itself I sent last week. And that's about it and then next meeting.

Chris: Okay, so what do you want to start with?

Bart: I want to start a bit and say where we are in the process. If you - I sent out an email on the 2nd of September, say more or less the schedule leading up to Seoul and regarding the topic paper.

I sent you the topic paper last week agreed and today we have the say the first conference call on the topic paper. The next step is that based on the feedback received today and feedback by email and comments, I'll update the topic paper and send it out by next week.

And then the next call is scheduled around the 12th of October to finalize the topic paper and prepare it for publication. So that is where we are.

Chris: Could you just explain to everyone briefly what the - how the topic paper works and why we're using this particular methodology given that we used it in the previous Working Group Bart?

Bart: Yes, the topic paper is drafted. In fact we find the scope of the overall policy. It is a set of questions and say answering these questions will most structure and shape the recommendations and the direction of the recommendations.

So to really scope out the overall policy we start with a topic paper, issues paper, so it's just a set of questions.

Chris: Which is what we did originally when we were looking at (IDN ccTLD)s in the Fast Track wasn't it?

Bart: Yes. And this is what we do, say what we've done in previous - in the previous PDP as well.

Chris: Okay. So is it a goal for this call Bart to get any comments or input on the topic paper?

Bart: Yes.

Chris: Okay, fine. So if we - before we move on to that is there anything before that you need to deal with or can we just move on to that?

Bart: Yes, it's - at the suggestion of (Jaap) at the prior call we have also - we have prepared a say tentative glossary of terms which might be relevant of the - for

the overall policy so we have a say I - would you phrase it a more or less standardized terminology we could use.

That needs to be updated with some of the definitions from the IDNC Working Group report and from the implementation report - implementation plan - the final draft of the implementation plan.

For instance the description of what is a meaningful representation. I suggest we keep it at this stage in the background just for purposes for the activities of the Working Group.

Chris: Okay.

Bart: But it's good to have a consolidated list of terminology.

Chris: Okay, so we have two documents. We have a glossary.

Bart: Yes.

Chris: If we could, Bart, at some point if we could all agree how to spell internationalize that would be really helpful.

Bart: Okay.

Chris: At the moment - I put in a bid for internationalize with an s because that's how it should be spelled but I'm sure that there are those who will spell it with a zed. But there's a glossary and then there is the topic paper which we're going to discuss in a minute.

Bart: Yes.

Chris: Thanks guys. Okay, so where we're at then is the glossary is something we can kind of look at as we go along.

Bart: Yes.

Chris: Add to, take things out. Fantastic. The actual topic paper itself - the goal for that topic paper is to get that ready to go out in enough of a good shape to go out for public comment in around about three weeks' time.

Bart: Yes, yes.

Chris: And then have a 28-day comment period which would include the face-to-face meeting in Seoul.

Bart: Yes.

Chris: Okay, fine. It's pretty hard with such a large group of people on the call to get into too much detail on text but we've all had this topic paper for a while. I don't think - personally to me it's fairly much the same as the original one was, with a few additions.

But I'd be interested to see if anybody has anything that - any comments or comment they'd like to address on this call or any questions they'd like to ask on this call in respect specifically to the topic paper.

Janis: Chris, I have... Janis speaking.

Chris: Yes Janis.

Janis: You already frankly answered but I still want to make sure how much this topic paper differs from the one we addressed before we started Fast Track, that's question number one.

And number two were the lessons we learned from going through Fast Track has been incorporated in this paper because I - honestly I cannot see - I cannot find it in this paper questions of fees and contracts.

Chris: Yes. Bart?

Bart: What I've done is I haven't included - or what is not included is the questions on fees and contracts. That's something to do with a bit of the scope of a PDP so that's one. What I've done is in preparing this draft I've included - I started with the original issues paper to join GAC ccNSO issues paper.

I think that was from 2007 and - which started the whole PDP. And I've included a say refinements from the IDNC Working Group topic paper and some say on specific topics where the implementation plan has already made choices, included some language on that as well. What I could do is send out a say a comparison if that is helpful.

Chris: Two things Bart. (Yannas) did you want to come back on that?

Janis: No, I don't think that we need more papers. So the papers are very long and sometimes it's hard to get to the end without remembering what was at the beginning.

But it's not the question. We don't need this version. If you say it is more of the same we take it as simply - I think that the lessons we learned going

through the Fast Track should be reflected at the very beginning of PDP as well.

Chris: Okay.

Janis: And I think that there should be a question whether there should be a form of relationship between ((IDN ccTLD)) operator and ICANN, what that should be, the same applies whether there should be something or not.

This is just obvious because we're going through it already and maybe we will have some kind of answer after the Fast Track but maybe we'll disagree and for this purpose we will invent something else.

Chris: I agree with that Janis. I think - my suggestion on the way to handle the fees and contracts issue is to put in - put it in as a topic in the topic paper. It may be that the answer is the recommendation of the Working Group is that (IDN ccTLD)s should be treated in exactly the same way as (ccTLD)s and therefore if it's inappropriate to come to any conclusions in the IDN space because it should be a - looked at in a complete space.

Or it may be that the Working Group decides well there is a separate circumstance for IDN but I think we should have the opportunity to talk about that and discuss it in the topic paper. So I think we need to add those in Bart.

Bart: I will.

Chris: And it would be useful I think, I mean, I - we were fairly sure when we finished the Fast Track topic paper that we'd covered practically every issue we could think of apart from the things we decided not to.

So I think unless we come up with some new ones as long as it pretty much follows the same line which it seems to me to do, we've probably - we're probably covering all the bases aren't we?

Bart: Yes. It's say what is added and because - and that's a different - it's the whole question about delegation, redelegation, retirement of (ccTLD) or (IDN ccTLD)s, that in the IDNC made a Fast Track process it was a given that the (ccTLD) should be treated that way because that was a board resolution.

In this case in the overall policy it's a question that needs to be answered as part of the policy.

Chris: You mean stretching IDN that far to the (IFO) list?

Bart: No. What - if you look at say the IDNC Working Group charter so the - for the Fast Track. That included some conditions, requirements which had to be taken into account by the Working - the Fast Track Working Group.

One of them for instance was that the (IDN ccTLD)s would be delegated in the same manner as (ccTLD)s. Now this is - we're talking about the overall policy that - so it's now included as a question.

And probably it's a rhetorical question. It doesn't matter. It's something that we need to - this Working Group needs to decide upon, recommends that the whole current (ccTLD) delegation practice is applicable to (IDN ccTLD)s under the overall policy.

Chris: Right. So it is in there as a question right?

Bart: Yes.

Chris: Okay, fine. Good.

Bart: Janis, it's just the question that you said. I'm sorry.

Chris: No. That's fine. No, no, no. That's okay. Does anyone else have a comment or question at this state? I'm assuming that with this topic paper over the next couple of weeks we'll bounce questions and ideas back over the list so that we can finalize the document in time to go out, and bearing in mind it is only going out for comment. It doesn't need to be perfect at this stage.

But anyone else got any comments or things they want to say? Good, well in that case we can all go home.

Cheryl: I can?

Chris: No you can't Cheryl. You have to stay in your hotel in Sydney.

Cheryl: Thank you.

Chris: And I don't have to go home because I already am. So - but if we're comfortable to take your existing document and work our way through that over the next sort of 10 - 14 days.

Bart: Preferably in order to make that - we can shift it to be over the next week or so.

Chris: Right.

Bart: So it's - so if you could send comments added to me directly or over the list over the next seven days then we're reasonably on schedule, otherwise we have to stress everything to publish it in - prior to Seoul and we can finalize it on our next call.

Chris: Okay. What else do you need us to do Bart?

Bart: Nothing at this stage.

Chris: Oh cool.

Cheryl: That's excellent.

Chris: If - so Bart, when - you're - we're going to have another call before Seoul right?

Bart: Yes.

Chris: And on that call the goal for that call is to finalize the first draft of this paper.

Bart: Yes.

Chris: Okay. All right. And then send it out.

Bart: Yes, and it's say prior to that call I will send - that's why I requested to have it as soon as possible, the comment, say a couple of days prior to that call I will send out an updated version.

Chris: Cool. All right.

Shavas: This is (Shavas). I have a question.

Chris: Yes.

Shavas: Yes, do you want to keep this in a question format or do you want us to send possible answers to these questions? You're just asking for us to rephrase these questions if you don't make comments about whether these questions are, you know, right questions or you're asking, you know, you just want to keep this in question format right?

Chris: I understand. Yes I think we just want to keep it in question format at this stage don't we Bart?

Bart: Yes because I think if you look ahead I think say the - in Seoul meeting we will change the mode, first of all check whether - with the community whether the questions are right and then already go in to answering mode.

And I think the face-to-face meeting in Seoul we have a good sensitive go at answering these questions. So at this stage yes, just the questions. Though - and it's to scope the overall policy.

Chris: Yes. I think that's right because - well the first thing we have to agree and we'll get the communities to agree is that these are the questions that need to be asked.

Once we've got that - I do think it also has the advantage of giving everybody a reasonable opportunity to think about what the answers might be without actually having to express them at this stage.

And then - and it's worked very well with the Fast Track. We did that and then we went - then we said, "Okay, these are the agreed listed questions." And it's not a closed loop. Once - there may be more questions that come up as we go along.

But for now these are the questions. Now let's start working on some answers. So yes, for now just - it really is just a case of shaping the paper so that it is - one, it covers all the questions; two, it's understandable; and three, it's relatively easy to follow.

So I would ask those of you who - for whom English is not your first language to comment if you - if things are unclear or don't make sense because it's really easy for me to look at it and say, "Yes, it all makes sense to me."

But it's - if you have problems understanding it, it will be really helpful if you actually said that at some point in the next sort of week or so. Anyone else got any questions or comments on the topic paper before we move on?

Okay in that case Bart, apart from any general questions there might be about process which - and where we're going which we'll get to in a minute, is there anything else that you need to address?

Bart: No, not at this stage.

Chris: Yes.

Manal: Hi, this is Manal.

Chris: Yes Manal.

Minal: Actually I initially had some questions about (Yannas) was faster than me raising the issue of the absence of the COR and the financial contribution, and my second question has to do with the definition of the variance. So am I asking this at the right moment or should I wait?

Chris: Sorry (Minal). The definition of variance...

Bart: Do you refer - now do you refer to the glossary?

Manal: Yes.

Chris: Bart, okay. Excellent.

Bart: It's say - I think if you have say the first focus will be on the topic paper and as I explained hopefully clearly is that I'll maintain the glossary. If you have comments and everything else please send them on - in a separate note on the glossary and I will include them.

Just for your understanding what I've used in the glossary are the current definitions on the ICANN Web - say the IDN - ICANN IDN glossary and the IDN glossary.

So the way I envision this is that through this process in parallel we'll develop our own definitions.

Manal: Okay.

Chris: Did you have a problem with the existing one in the document (Minal)?

Manal: I'm thoroughly confused. When we refer to the term variance are we talking about visual confusion or is it also for example Egypt in Arabic and Egypt in Chinese for example. Are those considered variance?

Chris: Okay, good question.

Bart: Yes.

Chris: Don't know that we know the answer to that.

Bart: But maybe - just send them (Minal). I'll include them either in the glossary or in the topic paper itself.

Manal: Okay, I will. Thank you.

Chris: Anyone else? Okay, if there's nothing else Bart do you want to address anything else on this call?

Bart: No. The only thing is (Christina) will send out a Doodle. Tentatively we have a call scheduled for the 12th of October, probably around the same time. Maybe - or change the time for the people in California and in Australia that this time...

Chris: It'll be an hour later for me and an hour later for California I think the next time we have a call because it'll be - it will have gone as daylight saving and...

Bart: Okay, we'll see - what will happen is - but when we send out the Doodle shortly after this call for the call around the 12th of October when it's tentatively scheduled.

Chris: Okay.

Bart: That's all for me.

Chris: Anyone got anything else they need to ask or to say on this call? Okay in that case can I please ask every - this document that we're putting together now - this topic paper is - the goal is to get this out for public comment. Semantics and spelling mistakes and grammar don't much matter for the moment.

We'll sort all of that out but if you've got any concerns, anything you don't think is covered, anything you don't think is phrased properly, anything that you don't understand, please provide all that information to the list or directly to Bart if that makes you more comfortable.

And we will knock it into shape over the next ten days or so so that we can approve it and send it out for comment by our own deadline. Okay? Great. If there's nothing else thanks everybody.

Bart: Yes. Okay, thank you.

Chris: Bye.

END