

---

HELSINKI – TLD-OPS Standing Committee  
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 08:00 to 09:15 EEST  
ICANN56 | Helsinki, Finland

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: So, we're going to do this officially, even though we don't have anybody else on the bridge. My name is Cristian Hesselman. I'm the Chair of the TLD-OPS Standing Committee.

I propose we jump right into the agenda after we have a look at the attendee list. I think we have almost everybody here. So we have Jacques, Erwin, Jay, Warren, and Kim. We're missing John Crain and Kim Davies unfortunately, which is a pity because we actually needed them for the first agenda item. And Abibu, Ali, and Fred, they couldn't make it. So they tried to participate remotely but there's nobody on the bridge so they're not going to be there.

Okay, so the first thing on the agenda was the security alert from ICANN and OARC so what we talked about during the previous meetings is to work with ICANN and OARC to get security alerts on the list and this hasn't really materialized yet. So I was hoping that either John or Kim would be here today, but they're not. I had a chat with Jacques yesterday and perhaps what we should propose is that ask John that a person that has more

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

operational responsibilities at OARC or ICANN takes over, that he asks somebody within his team to provide the operational data rather than trying to do it himself. Perhaps he simply doesn't have the time. So maybe we should try to contact him. [Ari] could you have a word with him, Jacques, on that?

JACQUES LATOUR: Yes, will do. I'll talk to him.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: And the second agenda item that we had was to also discuss extensions to our approach to get more ccTLDs on board. So until now we've been going through the regional organizations through the ICANN regional Vice Presidents and we've been sending out these status updates on the mailing list as well as during ccNSO meetings but it's not going very fast. We've had, I think, four or five new members since Marrakech, so that's not a whole lot. And at this pace it will take a long time before we get to 100%.

Erwin also pointed out this morning – what was your point again? Could you repeat that?

---

ERWIN LANSING: I talked to [Lee Notaro] of APNIC in Brussels. It was for the [inaudible] meeting and some of the names on the list for the Asia Pacific region he said we're never going to get them on the list, which could be for several reasons. Some of them are run by the government agencies where they not even are allowed to mention they work on this kind of thing. So we're never going to get them on the list, especially not on a personal title. Just looking at the list and he crossed out several names and we could just stop reaching out to them.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: So these are several ccTLDs that will for sure not – at least in the Asia Pacific region – that will not join.

ERWIN LANSING: Exactly. We could do whatever we want but they'll never get on the list because they're just not allowed to say that they're working for ccTLD.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: So let me take the action point to update the member stats with that information because it means that we can never reach 100%. So we should make that somehow explicit and that our ambition cannot go beyond 95% or 90% or something. Okay.

---

Thank you again. So I will update those statistics. Making a note here.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yukon Territories.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay. [inaudible].

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: In terms of getting more ccTLDs on board, do you guys have any other suggestions on how we may do that to speed things up?

Personally, I'm out of options right now because we've pretty much been doing whatever we can, I think.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Have we asked the ICANN regional VPs to reach out?

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Yes, several times. And we also translated the leaflet that we have and I sent that to them.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The translation of the leaflets is fairly recent so maybe after a couple of weeks or a couple of months we'll start getting the

---

people who previously weren't really able to participate because they didn't know. The other issue is still just getting it in front of people because the people who don't participate are the people who never show up and so [inaudible].

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Yes, that's a problem. You're right.

For me it's frustrating, a bit too much but we cannot do anything ourselves in this part because we depend on in this case the ICANN VPs or maybe the CEOs of regional organizations. So we don't have much control over that. That's too bad.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There's a lot of smaller ccTLDs that are not part of the ccNSO, so reaching out to them is even harder.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, there's a big problem if the contact information they have with ICANN is incorrect, they've got bigger problems than our list.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: And that's also true. Okay, so I think the conclusion is that we don't see any additions to the channels that we've been using so far. So we just need to continue using them and share the

---

information that we have with them on a regular basis and check with them regularly. Okay.

Alright, so that was agenda item number three. Number four is the terms of use. So could you bring up that slide please, Kim?

So we had a case a couple weeks ago where somebody on the list used the contact information that's being distributed in that regular e-mail that's being sent out to conduct a survey, and I think we quickly agreed that this was not the intended use of the list. So I tried to draft very quickly a terms of use. I'm not sure if we can all see it in the room.

Basically I tried to split it into two parts. So one is the terms of use pertaining to the contact information, so the information that's in the e-mail that's being sent out every month. And the second one is about the actual use of the list.

And so I think that at least these I think are the key elements. The first one is that the contact information in the e-mails is confidential and that it must be used for operational security and stability issues only. So you cannot use it to conduct surveys or do research or whatever you want to do with it. So only focusing on operational security and stability matters.

And the actual use of the list, again, I think that also should have an operational focus so operational security alerts, information

---

that people put on the list is confidential by default unless you designate or assign a particular TOP code to it, like green or white. And this is something that you then need to do through the subject of the e-mail.

And lastly, the messages on the list must be friendly and should encourage everyone on the list to share security alerts with the other subscribers.

It's very brief. What do you guys think?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I like it being brief. Nice and easy.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Okay. I'll summarize this in a few lines of readable text and then put it on the website.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sorry, maybe it must be an operational security alert or query. So if somebody's reaching out [inaudible].

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Yes, you're right. Or query.

---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Did somebody reach that person in question?

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Actually I did. He apologized for using the list that way.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay. Perfect.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: I didn't send that through on our list.

Okay so that was the terms of use. And then we have the time slot for the conference calls which has been challenging since... Jay joins. We're glad you're here but the breadth of the time zones increased a lot. So I was wondering what we can do about that. So we had a conference call at 12:00 UTC the last time so that was last week and that was probably very inconvenient for you because it was like –

JAY DALEY: Yes that was probably 1:00 a.m. I think. I just think you probably have to just do it without me at times or quite a lot. It's just hard to do that, and I'll participate as I can and send something in beforehand to you directly if I think there's something [inaudible].



---

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Okay. That might work also. Okay. Let's do it like that. Thank you, Jay.

Alright, so then we have a little bit more options in terms of suitable time slots. So the question then is should we agree on a fixed time slot or do we want to do the doodle dance for every conference call? What do you think, Jacques? Fix it? Kim, could you propose something that works for most of us?

KIM DAVIES: When we did the survey, 12:00 UTC and 16:00 UTC were the top picks, so does that work for everybody?

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: I personally prefer 12:00. I can also do the other one.

KIM DAVIES: And we can rotate the two.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Yeah. Let's try the other one. Not 12:00 but 16:00. Would that work for you, Warren – 16:00? That would be around 12-ish.

---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: But I mean does that work okay for Jay?

JAY DALEY: Don't worry about me. 16:00 UTC doesn't. No. And 12:00 UTC could do depending on what I need to do the next day, so that's fine.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Okay, let's try 16:00 UTC. Okay.

Alright so then we'll proceed with the regular matters, the list of action points. But I don't think it changed much since the last conference call we had. Our last conference call was last week? I don't think there have been any changes. Let me quickly look through it. So did you get any response from OARC, Jacques, on changing the TLD off messages?

JACQUES LATOUR: I sent two e-mails and I talked to [Keith] and nothing changed. They're busy playing with the [tool] data which, if it wasn't big query it would be a lot easier for everybody, but different meeting.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Okay, so the first action point I will keep it open and 22 and 23 are both John's on the security alerts. So we'll keep those open

---

as well. Then Jacques had an action point to compile a list of security tools that we left that open. I'm not sure why.

JACQUES LATOUR: Because it's compiled I didn't send the e-mail.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Oh, you didn't send the e-mail yet. Right. Okay.

JACQUES LATOUR: It says compiled.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Okay, so we're extending it to also send an e-mail on that.

JACQUES LATOUR: Okay, will do.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: I'm going to close it then, Jacques. Closed. 29 is basically the same as 21 and 23. That was for Kim Davies. Time slots, we just select one so that was action item number 30. We can also close that one. And draft a terms of use, that was my action point which I did so we're going to close that, too. That leaves us with four action points and I think two new ones. So I'll, again, update

---

the list of action points at the end of this meeting and share it on the list.

Okay, so agenda item number 7 – TLD-OPS status and operational issues. Is there anything to report on that, Kim?

KIM DAVIES: I have nothing new since the last time we met.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Okay. Alright, so then it's off to the second last agenda item which is summary for the community. I will draft a brief summary which will be mostly on that we drafted a terms of use because I think that's most of what we did today. And I'll send it on the ccNSO list as usual. Okay?

That brings us to Any Other Business. Jay, anything? No. Warren? Erwin? Kim? Chuck? No. Okay. Then we're done. Thank you.

JAY DALEY: Thank you, Cristian.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**